1. You must have a St. Elizabeth parishioner on your team, because this is a parish contest and is not open to the general public to compete. You may have team members that are not St. E’s parishioners.
2. It is not a KCBS (Kansas City BBQ Society) sanctioned contest. We will loosely follow KCBS rules and are advised by KCBS officials but we are keeping the contest and rules loose to keep the focus on fun.
3. Gas, wood, pellet and coal cookers are permitted. No electricity will be supplied to any booth. No generators are allowed. Battery power for lights and tv’s is fine as long as it is confined to your space.
4. The scoring will follow standard contest rules. The meat will be judged on Appearance, Taste & Tenderness. Our judges will be instructed and instructed by a KCBS official.
5. The rules are loose, but some of the judges are KCBS trained, so try to adhere to the rules as best you can. See KCBS rules and judges instruction on line to understand how this works and what judges are asked to do.
6. Provisions of meat and greens for the contest are the responsibility of the teams. Sample boxes will be provided, take care of you sample boxes, a $10 fee is assessed for each new box needed.
Garnish is optional:
If used, it is limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley and kale.
7. Scored meat categories are: Ribs, Brisket, Pork (butt) and Chicken. In order to be eligible for the award of overall Grand Champion, a contestant must enter all 4 categories.
8. At least 6 samples of each meat category will be turned-in to our Judges per the schedule. Make sure it is sliced or separated to make individual samples.
9. All meat must be cooked on site. You can rub or marinate it at home.
10. Entry fee is $120 per team non-refundable and 100% of entry costs must accompany registration with checks made out to St. Elizabeth. Cooking space location will be selected by the team at the registration meeting. Set up starts at 1:00pm on Friday. Set up hours are 1:00-5:00 Friday.
11. This is a church event and there are children present Saturday from 11am until 7pm. Please be safe! Protect hot cookers and drink responsibly. No bikes, scooters, shoes with wheels, etc… around or near the cook sites.
12. We are happy to have children present Saturday 11am – 7pm. At 7pm they will need to go home so the parents can relax. Both Friday and Saturday evenings (after 7pm) are kid free. Please make the proper arrangements for the children to leave so the adults can enjoy the evening. It is not fair to those parents who have arranged babysitters and made plans for their children to have kids still at the event after 7pm.
13. Demonstrations or activities that cause annoyance to neighboring contestants or the neighborhood, such as flashing lights or noise will not be allowed. There will be QUIET TIME on Friday from 12:00am to 7:00am. There are neighbors close by and we want to keep good relationships with them for years to come.
Friday - After midnight no one other than the team members are allowed on site until 7am the next morning. In the team packets there will be a wrist band ID to ensure we have only registered members on site. On site security will be enforcing the team members only rule overnight.
Friday - Excessive noise, including but not limited to speakers from radios, CD players, mp3 players, etc. TVs, washer games, public address systems or amplifying equipment, will not be allowed during quiet time. Quiet hours start at Midnight and will last until 7:00am unless otherwise determined by the committee and onsite security.
14. Each team cooking space: Pits, cookers, props, trailers, motor homes, vehicles, tents or any other equipment shall not exceed the boundaries of the team’s assigned cooking space. Fires shall not be built on the ground. You will need to fill the provided 5 gallon bucket with water and keep this in the cooking area at all times. Anchoring tents into the asphalt w/ stakes is prohibited. You must provide your own trash cans for your waist & we will supply a dumpster for your St. E’s trash bags. P.S. Hot coals do not go into trash, Duh!!!!!!!
15. Turn in times will have a 10 minute window, you will have 5 minutes before until 5 minutes after the scheduled time. The official clock will be kept at turn in table. Please see schedule.
16. Break down may be done 4:00-5:30pm on Saturday night and 7:00-10:00am Sunday. Every thing will need to be done by 10:00am on Sunday morning. Remember the campsite rule, it should look better that you found it! Failure to do so will jeopardize your participation in next year’s event, and we will tell everyone in the parish.
17. Cooking may start anytime after set up on Friday.
18. Recycling – There’s gonna be a lot of empty cans (not to mention plastic cups, silverware etc.) by the time this thing is over. So you will need to have recycling bins on hand for both aluminum/plastic. It will not go into the dumpster. Place recycling items in bags beside dumpster
19. Every team must have one member to help clean up the site on Sunday Morning after teams are loaded out. This is our kids playgrounds.
20. The Glass rule, you must drink out of a can or a plastic cup please. NO GLASS!
21. No smoker may be under a tent, because we don’t want fires.
22. Your team must have a fire extinguisher on site all weekend, so please have it to show at check in and please keep your tent all weekend. Fire, beer and Catholics don’t always mix well…
23. Keep in mind that this is a family event so be mindful of language please.
Anyone that cannot follow the rules, will be removed and not allowed back. You may be asked to come back at 7am to pack your gear. This is a judgment call of the onsite security and the BBQ Committee.
CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION & EVICTION
a. Excessive use of alcoholic beverages or public intoxication with a disturbance.
b. Use of illegal controlled substances.
c. Fighting and/or disorderly conduct.
d. Continued complaints about a team. (this will be determined by the committee)
e. Noise during quiet time.
NOTE: There will be no refund of entry fees if you are DISQUALIFIED or EVICTED.