35th Annual St. Elizabeth Mom's and Pop's Weekend - April 21-23
The idea for a "Mom's and Pop's Tournament" was conceived by Connie Twenter at the former Romanelli Grill (now District Pour House) one evening after a night of basketball with some men of the parish. Connie and Tom Steck organized the first tournament in 1980 as the "Pop's Tournament." The following year the women of the parish wanted equal representation and women's basketball was added. A short time later volleyball was added to the women's competition.
The purpose of the tournament is threefold:
- Have a fun, competitive social activity for the parents of the grade school children.
- Encourage parents of all grade school children to meet and interact with each other.
- Raise money for the Athletic Association to help with the cost of balls, uniforms, gym upkeep and athletic equipment.
The weekend starts on Thursday, April 21 with a night of women's-only (NO KIDS and NO HUSBANDS) volleyball. Beverages and snacks provided. Donations are accepted the night of the volleyball.
The pop's basketball tournament takes place Friday night, April 22 and Saturday, April 23. In addition, a basketball game between moms will be held Friday night.
Dads are assigned to play for the grade of their oldest child currently enrolled at St. Elizabeth only. Playing for more than one team will only be allowed in special circumstances.
Kindergarten and parish-registered ECC dads may may also sign up and will be placed on one of the 1st - 8th grade teams as needed(sign up as a "K" dad).
This is a fun weekend for all St. Elizabeth families, and all are encouraged to be a part of the weekend, even if not playing. Lots of food and beverages will be provided all weekend, with Waldo Pizza available Friday evening and the St. Elizabeth Knights of Columbus offering BBQ and beverages all day Saturday.
Mom's and pop's specific basketball practices will begin in coming weeks.
Schedule of Events
Thursday , April 21(Mom's Volleyball night)
- 7:00 pm - 1st vs. 8th(Game 1)
- 7:30 pm - 2nd vs. 7th(Game 2)
- 8:00 pm - 3rd vs 6th(Game 3)
- 8:30 pm - 4th vs 5th(Game 4)
- 9:00 pm - Game 1 winner vs Game 2 winner(Game 5)
- 9:30 pm - Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 winner(Game 6)
- 10:00 pm - Championship Game 5 winner vs. Game 4 winner
Friday, April 22
- 6:00pm - Men's #1 - 1st grade vs. 8th grade
- 7:00pm - Men's #2 - 2nd grade vs. 7th grade
- 8:00pm - Women's Game
- 9:00pm - Men's #3 - 3rd grade vs. 6th grade
- 10:00pm - Men's #4 - 4th grade vs 5th grade
Saturday, April 23
- 11:30am - Men's #5 - Loser gm #1 vs Loser gm #2
- 12:30pm - Men's #6 - Loser gm #3 vs Loser gm #4
- 1:30pm - Men's #7 - Winner gm #1 vs Winner gm #2
- 2:30pm - Men's #8 - Winner gm #3 vs Winner gm #4
- 3:30pm - Break for Mass
- 6:15pm - Men's Consolation Finals - Winner gm #5 vs Winner gm #6
- 7:30pm - Men's Championship Game/Tim Ritz Hot Shot Championship at Half Time - Winner gm #7 vs Winner gm #8
After Saturday's festivities, please join our community in celebrating a fun weekend at Governor Stumpy's Grill House!
We need several volunteers to sell food and beverages on Friday and Saturday. Volunteers may sign up using VolunteerSpot here. Thanks in advance for your help!
Any questions please e-mail us at [email protected].
PLEASE SIGN UP BY APRIL 10
You may also register by check, made out to St. Elizabeth Athletics. You may send your registration check through the school, to the attention of STE Athletics.
After you register I will send a Paypal invoice, or you can pay at the event with cash, check or credit card.
Looking forward to another fun filled Mom's & Pop's weekend!
TO PAY VIA PAYPAL, DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD PLEASE CLICK ON THE APPROPRIATE LINK BELOW